Another win for title chasers

Loddon 2, North Walsham 3Walsham grabbed their fifth consecutive win to maintain their lead at the top of the Anglian Combination Premier Division table.

Loddon 2, North Walsham 3

Walsham grabbed their fifth consecutive win to maintain their lead at the top of the Anglian Combination Premier Division table.

Walsham made three changes from the win at Acle, with Piper ruled out through injury, Wheeler unavailable and Patterson ill.

Fitzgerald returned from suspension and was partnered in attack by Davies. The bench was made up by Davison, Palmer and Hudson.

The Angels began in a positive manner and were soon on the front foot. The front two were working well in conjunction with Wilton and Hinton, whilst Clifton was looking dangerous with his forays from midfield.

Chances came and went as Davies' flick was blocked by Young, whilst Wilton and Hinton were wasteful when well placed.

Most Read

The opening goal came on 15 minutes. Dunlop's wonderful cross from the left wing was met by Dale Wilton, who added another powerful header to his recent collection of goals.

Walsham continued to pepper the home goal as they looked to increase the lead, whilst the backline were mopping up any attacks that Loddon could muster.

Town grabbed the second from the spot on 25 minutes. Clifton was first to the ball just inside the box and he was caught by a swinging leg and fell to the ground. David Hinton took on the responsibility and confidently fired home, sending the keeper in the wrong direction.

The second half was a different story. Loddon came out a rejuvenated outfit and this improvement coupled with a slight decline in the Town performance led to a much tighter game, and Loddon grabbed a goal back on 52 minutes.

A mis-hit left-wing cross completely deceived Munday and looped into the far corner.

The Angels composed themselves and restored a two-goal cushion 10 minutes later. A Hinton corner saw Alex Fitzgerald rise highest and direct a header into the bottom corner, despite the attempts of the Loddon keeper and defender.

After the goal, Town made their first change as Palmer replaced Dunlop at left back.

The hosts went close to scoring, but Town were thankful for Lown's vital block from a Summons drive. Loddon did manage to reduce the deficit with 20 minutes remaining. A deep free-kick was punched clear by Munday but fell nicely 25 yards out to Marjoribanks and was fired back through a ruck of players and into the net.

Loddon sensed a chance of salvaging a point and Walsham looked like they were rocking.

Walsham made a second change as Fitzgerald was removed and Davison came on. He slotted into the heart of the midfield and Clifton went up front.

A Wilton header was ruled out for an apparent infringement on the home keeper.