Angels up and running

Loddon United 1, North Walsham Town 3

The Angels finally managed to take their chances, to the delight of the management team.

On the player front, there are some irons in the fire and it is hoped that some additions will be made as Town face three testing fixtures in seven days starting with Wroxham Reserves at Trafford Park on Saturday.

This is followed by two floodlit fixtures at Greens Road, against St Johns (September 21) and Mattishall (September 24). The Angels have also been drawn away to old adversaries Sheringham in the last 16 of the Senior KO Cup on October 23.

After another frenetic fortnight with two players deciding that the grass is greener away from Greens Road, managers Chase and Lown gave debuts at Loddon to Jake Jessup and James Marsh.

Starts were handed to Rob Marsh and Kieran Davis, with reserve team regulars Scannell and Broome filling spots on the bench.

Most Read

Town started brightly and should have been two ahead in the opening 10 minutes. Davies blazed over the bar then Reynolds was forced to shoot from an acute angle, but saw his shot saved.

The Angels' back four were dealing with the threat of Marjoribanks, and Jessup was looking confident between the sticks.

Midway through the half, Town broke the deadlock. James Marsh squared for Ant Davies to slot into the bottom corner. Town then soaked up everything Loddon had to offer before half-time.

The opening exchanges of the second half saw a major incident as Loddon's centre forward Marjoribanks was sent off for a challenge on Tindall. With Tindall receiving treatment, the 10 men of Loddon hit back almost immediately with the equaliser..

The Angels began to make their extra man count. On 62 minutes, a good interchange between Dunlop and Abbs set up James Marsh and the new signing fired home.

The decisive third soon followed. Abbs' deep corner was headed back across goal by Muir and despite Davies' effort being saved, Michael Reynolds proded home for his first goal since returning to the club. Muir saw two efforts blocked on the line.

Muir, Davis and Tindall kept Loddon at bay to ensure Town got their campaign up and running.

On a good day for the club, the Reserves progressed in the Reserve KO Cup with a 6-2 (L Payne 4, Randall 2) success over Attleborough Reserves in a fiery encounter. The highlight of the game was a sweetly-struck volley from the evergreen John Randall.

The A-team began their league campaign with a pleasing 5-2 victory over Runton.

To complete a successful weekend, the Sunday side made it two wins from two as Leigh Payne's early strike was enough to see off Rackheath Green Man.