Angels impress with nap hand

Dersingham Rovers 1, North Walsham Town 5

THE Angels made the long trip to fellow strugglers Rovers worthwhile with possibly their best performance of the season.

The Town line-up had four changes from the Kirkley defeat. Grand, Miller and Fitzgerald returned to action, whilst joint manager Lown made a return to the starting 11 following 12 months on the sidelines. Reserve team leading goalscorer Leigh Payne joined Foulser and Wright on the bench.

The Angels made a bright start, but were thankful for two fine blocks by Kellett in the opening exchanges. The positive approach was vindicated on 11 minutes as Walsham moved ahead.

Perry Payne beat his marker and his near-post cross was expertly flicked into the top corner by Ant Davies.

From that moment, the side exuded confidence. Miller snatched at one chance as he fired over, whilst Payne was causing all sorts of problems down the left flank.

The second goal arrived on 20 minutes. A searching ball was cleared to skipper Daniel Tindall in the centre circle, who composed himself before unleashing a wonderful effort over the retreating keeper and into the top of the net from all of 45 yards.

Most Read

Moments later, Kellett made another good save to preserve the Angels' advantage and Town increased their lead on their next attack. A fine passing interchange involving Payne, Marsh and Fitzgerald resulted in Ant Davies finding himself in the clear and he smashed his volley past a startled keeper.

On 36 minutes Walsham stamped their authority on the game with a fourth goal. Payne cut inside his marker and his inviting cross was stabbed home by Alex Fitzgerald to end his recent goal drought.

The interval saw the management plead for the energy levels to be maintained and not to let the opposition back into the game. Discipline and focus were stressed as major factors.

The second half saw a response from Rovers and they probed the Angels' back line, but with Lown marshalling the troops at the heart of the defence and Tindall driving the side on from the centre of midfield, Walsham held firm.

Lown made one wonderful tackle as Dersingham seemed set to reduce the deficit and the Angels managed to maintain their lead before making their first change on 68 minutes as Wright replaced goal hero Davies.

The contest was killed off on 72 minutes as Walsham grabbed a fifth. Fitzgerald beat his marker to the ball and was upended in the box. Daniel Tindall sent the spot-kick into the bottom corner.

Miller and Fitzgerald made way for Foulser and Leigh Payne respectively.

With the points in the bag, The Angels took their foot off the pedal and Dersingham grabbed a consolation on 81 minutes.

The home side were reduced to 10 men when Perry Payne beat his marker for the umpteenth time but was illegally halted, and referee Smith had no option but to produce the red card.

This level of performance needs to be taken into the home encounter with Brandon as Town continue their fight against the drop.

The Reserves were inactive but had boosted their survival hopes with a 3-0 midweek success over Newton Flotman. They still find themselves in the drop-zone but have regained some form recently.

The A Team succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at Horning, but still look set for a top-five finish.