Angels at their best

Blofield United 1, North Walsham Town 3

AGAINST the league champions the Angels erased the previous week's frustrations with a well-deserved success following a stellar performance.

This was a vast improvement and should serve as a reminder to the whole squad of the potential they possess. It also put North Walsham back amongst the pack chasing the top four.

They then have an inactive weekend before the Norfolk Senior Cup home tie against Norwich United on November 27.

The Beccles defeat led to a few changes. Dunlop started left-back and Grand reverted to right-back. Rob Marsh joined his brother James and the returning Deledicq in a three-man midfield, whilst Abbs came back in and joined Miller and Davies in a three-pronged attack. Cini was joined on the bench by Broom and Patterson. Reynolds, Sage and Davison were unavailable.

The Angels made a composed start and the primary objective to contain their opponents was achieved despite the Beavers holding territorial advantage.

Most Read

The Angels began to express themselves and the fluency of the speedy attack was causing Blofield problems.

They went close when Davies fired wide before deservedly moving ahead on the half-hour. Grand's lofted through-ball released Abbs, who beat keeper Woodcock to the ball and diverted it into the path of Darren Miller who tapped into an unguarded net for his first goal since his return to the club.

Despite a couple of scares on the Town goal, with Hurren causing some concerns with his ability to find space, Jessup preserved his clean sheet until the break.

As expected, the Beavers came out all guns blazing, but with both Muir and Tindall making a welcome return to form and Dunlop and Grand ably assisting, the back line was not breached.

Town doubled their lead on the hour. A near-post corner by Davies was met by James Marsh, and his glancing header punctured the Blofield rearguard and settled in the bottom corner.

Town made their first change after Abbs was struck flush in the face from point-blank range, leaving him dizzy and confused.

He was replaced by Broom, and his pace and power on the counter-attack was giving the home side a headache. On one occasion, he raced clear but greedily and wastefully shot straight at Woodcock.

Town made a second change when Rob Marsh's groin strain proved too much and Darren Patterson came on. The Town sub's impact was immediate as he confirmed the victory with an amazing strike.

Miller's cross from the right looked to be drifting behind Patterson, but the Town striker showed wonderful ability to adjust his body and execute a wonderful overhead kick that looped into the top corner.

Deledicq and James Marsh continued to disrupt Blofield with their harrying and tackling in the centre of the park.

Blofield grabbed a consolation. A header struck a post with Jessup beaten and fell nicely for Brown to smash home.

North Walsham Reserves continued their improved displays as they earned a clean sheet and a point hosting Swaffham Reserves.

Following three encouraging performances, they need to push on in an effort to reach the middle echelons of their division.

The A team's participation in the League Cup was extinguished following a dreary performance at Runton, where they lost 4-1.

The Sunday side's away-day blues continued as they lost 3-0 at perennial foes Hellesdon, despite a spirited effort by the makeshift side.