Event rider Casburn impresses at debut badminton outing
- Credit: Kit Houghton
She was the youngest competitor at this year's Badminton Horse Trials, riding a horse with a special family connection.
And 20-year-old Alice Casburn said she "couldn't be more pleased" with her performance at the five-day meet, which took place in Badminton Park in Gloucestershire and is considered one of the world's top equestrian events.
Casburn, who with her horse Topspin, won three awards, said: "It was phenomenal. To go and compete for the first time at Badminton and win awards, let alone finishing in the top 20, was an amazing experience. I couldn't have been more pleased."
Princess Anne presented Casburn with one of her awards, the Silver Jubilee Plate
for the best owner/rider.
She also won the Glentrool Trophy for the highest climber after the dressage, and another for being the best rider under the age of 25.
Casburn and Topspin finished 19th overall, and she said she was delighted with how her horse had performed. "He was amazing," she said.
"Mum mum bred him, so it's nice to have a horse that' I have progressed with as a partnership. My mum rode his grandmother so it's a family legacy in a way."
Topspin's grandmother, Spangle, was ridden by Casburn's mother, Caroline Casburn, who herself competed in top-flight equestrian contests.
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 3 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 4 Car set alight in arson attack in north Norfolk
- 5 How north Norfolk will be celebrating the Jubilee
- 6 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 7 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 10 Sole survivor peregrine chick is ringed
Casburn said she had been dedicated to event riding for the past five years and planned to continue in the sport.