A whole new ball game takes time to get used to
Cromer had two matches in Division Two of the Norfolk SRA Squash 57 Leagues and technical sirector Barry Starling once again rang the changes as he attempted to give as many of his squad as possible the opportunity to play competitive matches.
For the first of the two matches, at home to top of the table Diss II, the team knew that they could expect a hard match as they had been well beaten on the Diss courts two weeks previously. This proved to be the case as the visitors came out on top 13-5 in a match which was much closer than the score would suggest. Martin Sanville came into the team for the first time and was immediately thrust into the first string slot while veteran Gary Spruce returned at No.2. John Chandler once again played the third string match while club stalwart Kim Payne came in as a last minute replacement at No.4.
Whilst the team have all had years of experience on the squash court they are still on a steep learning curve with the larger ball and the smaller racket although they are improving all the time. Payne was beaten in straight games, although not as heavily as the score might suggest, while Chandler could quite easily have won his match. He lost the first two games but then drew level by taking the third and fourth games only to go down by the narrowest of margins as he lost the decisive fifth game 12-14.
Spruce was always in control of his match and came out on top 3-0 while in the final first string match Sanville played brilliantly against a good opponent without quite being able to take a game. The second match was away to Broadland II and with Spruce unavailable Alistair Dunnett came back into the team for his second match of the season.
Payne played well for two games but was not quite able to push on while Chandler was disappointed to go down to a straight game defeat. Dunnett won the opening game but then narrowly lost each of the next three while in the first string match Sanville found his opponent a touch too strong.
You may also want to watch:
Results: v Diss II: M Sanville lost to P Harris 10-13 12-14 9-13, G Spruce beat C Froude 13-9 13-7 14-12, J Chandler lost to R Long 6-13 9-13 13-10 13-7 12-14, K Payne lost to P Ireland 4-13 9-13 0-13. v Broadland II: M Sanville lost to M Woolner 8-13 5-13 7-13, A Dunnett lost to I Sneddon 13-11 10-13 7-13 11-13, J Chandler lost to M Noakes 11-13 7-13 9-13, K Payne lost to G Tempest 13-15 13-11 8-13 7-13.
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show
- 3 £2m bid for 62 new independent living apartments for over 55s
- 4 Stunning sunset artwork being raffled for new cancer centre
- 5 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 6 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 7 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 10 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea