North Walsham Rugby Club hosted a dominant Bury St Edmunds side at Scottow on Saturday in the National League 2 East, going down 5-45.

With the ground so heavy beneath the players’ feet, the quality of the rugby is a credit to both sides. Bury kicked off, giving the Vikings the first touch of the ball. They barely had a second before on 11 minutes Bury opened the scoring through Grigg-Pettitt. 0-7

On 15 minutes Attfield set up a try for Bursey, Penfold hitting the post with his kick. On 29 minutes another sustained assault on the Vikings’ defence brought the third try through centre Kharbouch. 0-19.

North Norfolk News: Hudson de Lucchi takes on the defenceHudson de Lucchi takes on the defence (Image: Richard Polley)The Vikings were finding it very tough: what scraps of possession they gained was too near their own line to play ambitious passes, and kicks downfield inevitably saw the ball return, but this time in Bury’s hands.

Things got worse on 36 minutes when Walsham winger Wes McGuire received a soft yellow card: the Vikings conceded twice as the first half came to an end. Half time: 0-31

The second half began like the first: the Vikings having to work very hard to get into the Bury half. Pressure told on 51 minutes with Bourne’s first try. 0-38

The final third of the match was the Vikings’ best period. Bury’s quality didn’t drop, but an injection of fresh legs gave the Vikings a few options. Possession higher up the pitch allowed them to move the ball faster and with more bravery. Connor Dudley’s awareness allowed him to convert one of the Vikings’ rare chances. 5-38

However, it was Bury who completed the scoring on 66 minutes when Bourne - part of a superb Bury back row - got his second, and Penfold his fifth conversion from seven. Final score: 5-45

It was a tough afternoon for the Vikings.

Bury are a big but mobile team and made very few errors throughout the game. However, Walsham worked tirelessly to the final whistle and finished the match strongly. Vikings' director of rugby Niall Lear named H. Langbridge Man of the Match.