Young North Norfolk singer reaching for the stars
A young performer from North Norfolk is aiming for the stars after winning through to the regional finals of a national talent competition.
Singer Mercedes Faiers, 17, from Roughton, sailed through auditions for the Britain Does Variety show in Kettering, Northamptonshire, and is now set to appear in a live show as part of the regional final heats at Kettering's Lighthouse Theatre on Sunday, May 1.
Britain Does Variety, which is being run by Kerry Kenton-Clarke, creator of starsinmyeyes.tv, and Channel Five television presenter Dave Payne, is touring the nation in an effort to find Britain's real talent and local acts from ventriloquists to comedians, mime artists and animal acts.
Mercedes, who is currently studying to be a midwife at Paston College in North Walsham, said: 'I really enjoy singing, I have done from a very young age and hope to be a professional singer one day.'
She won through to the regional finals singing Adele's Someone Like You.
You may also want to watch:
In 2007, Mercedes, then aged 13, was the youngest performer at the annual variety show held at the Auden Theatre in Holt. In the same year she also appeared at London's 02 Arena with the Girl Guides Association.
At the regional finals of Britain Does Variety, the best acts will make it through to the national grand final in June to compete for a host of prizes including the chance to play the O2 Indigo, as well as the chance for at least one act to be showcased in front of the entertainment directors of some of the world's biggest and most prestigious cruise lines.
- 1 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 6 Sport and TV stars heading to Norfolk for new festival
- 7 Organisers 'hopeful' Cromer Carnival 2021 will be able to take place
- 8 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 9 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 10 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week