Mum needed skin graft after suffering horrific burns from oven cleaner
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-three is recovering after suffering horrific burns from an oven cleaner which required a skin graft from her leg.
Liana Stott, a self-employed cleaner from North Walsham, had just used Oven Pride at a client's house when it happened on May 22. When she removed the oven racks from a plastic bag containing the solution, some of it brushed against her skin. Miss Stott said she had been wearing gloves supplied with the kit, as well as another pair, and had followed the safety instructions on the packaging.
The 25-year-old drove herself to Cromer Hospital after the incident, where she spent seven hours with her right arm under running water.
She said: "They kept testing the PH level which was 11, which is ridiculously high. They just couldn't get it to come down.
"The chemicals are designed to eat away at fat and grease on the cooker, and that's what it was doing to my arm.
You may also want to watch:
"I had to sit there while they scrubbed it with a toothbrush to get all the dead tissue."
Miss Stott then went to the specialist burns unit in Chelmsford, where they put a special dressing on her arm. But after repeated visits, doctors said she needed a skin graft.
- 1 Hotel in north Norfolk named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Callum, 9, finds mystery bone while fossil hunting on the beach
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 4 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 Pedestrian hit by lorry in Aylsham
- 7 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
- 8 Weird Norfolk: What links Westwick’s obelisk, ghosts and stuffed bears?
- 9 Norfolk Lights Express: More details revealed about festive favourite
- 10 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
"They said they thought it had spread out was dead to the muscle," she said. "They gave me a skin graft which they took off my thigh. I wasn't allowed to walk for four days."
Miss Stott made a complaint to Oven Pride, and is now considering taking legal action through a no-win no-fee solicitor.
She has also called for the product to be removed from supermarket shelves.
She said: "They basically said, 'well, we do state that it's a dangerous product and we are really sorry', and that was it.
"I'm a bit annoyed that there's been no remorse.
"If it's that dangerous it shouldn't be sold in supermarkets where you don't even need ID to buy it."
Miss Stott is still off work and is suffering the after-effects of the burn. She said: "It's little things like not being able to shower properly or wear jeans, that you take for granted, that has knocked me."
McBride, which produces Oven Pride, said they were unable to comment on the matter until July 15. However, a reply to Miss Stott from the company said they would investigate and check to see if the liquid she used was "within specification".
The email read: "I hope that you are comfortable and recovering from your accident."