Search

Mum needed skin graft after suffering horrific burns from oven cleaner

PUBLISHED: 16:12 11 July 2019 | UPDATED: 16:50 11 July 2019

North Walsham mum Liana Stott in hospital after the skin graft operation she needed after a burn to her arm she suffered when using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana Stott

North Walsham mum Liana Stott in hospital after the skin graft operation she needed after a burn to her arm she suffered when using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana Stott

Archant

A mum-of-three is recovering after suffering horrific burns from an oven cleaner which required a skin graft from her leg.

North Walsham mum Liana Stott in hospital after the skin graft operation she needed after a burn to her arm she suffered when using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana StottNorth Walsham mum Liana Stott in hospital after the skin graft operation she needed after a burn to her arm she suffered when using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana Stott

Liana Stott, a self-employed cleaner from North Walsham, had just used Oven Pride at a client's house when it happened on May 22. When she removed the oven racks from a plastic bag containing the solution, some of it brushed against her skin. Miss Stott said she had been wearing gloves supplied with the kit, as well as another pair, and had followed the safety instructions on the packaging.

The 25-year-old drove herself to Cromer Hospital after the incident, where she spent seven hours with her right arm under running water.

She said: "They kept testing the PH level which was 11, which is ridiculously high. They just couldn't get it to come down.

"The chemicals are designed to eat away at fat and grease on the cooker, and that's what it was doing to my arm.

The burn suffered by North Walsham mum Liana Stott after using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana StottThe burn suffered by North Walsham mum Liana Stott after using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana Stott

"I had to sit there while they scrubbed it with a toothbrush to get all the dead tissue."

Miss Stott then went to the specialist burns unit in Chelmsford, where they put a special dressing on her arm. But after repeated visits, doctors said she needed a skin graft.

You may also want to watch:

"They said they thought it had spread out was dead to the muscle," she said. "They gave me a skin graft which they took off my thigh. I wasn't allowed to walk for four days."

The burn suffered by North Walsham mum Liana Stott after using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana StottThe burn suffered by North Walsham mum Liana Stott after using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana Stott

Miss Stott made a complaint to Oven Pride, and is now considering taking legal action through a no-win no-fee solicitor.

She has also called for the product to be removed from supermarket shelves.

She said: "They basically said, 'well, we do state that it's a dangerous product and we are really sorry', and that was it.

"I'm a bit annoyed that there's been no remorse.

The burn suffered by North Walsham mum Liana Stott after using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana StottThe burn suffered by North Walsham mum Liana Stott after using Ovenpride. Picture: Supplied by Liana Stott

"If it's that dangerous it shouldn't be sold in supermarkets where you don't even need ID to buy it."

Miss Stott is still off work and is suffering the after-effects of the burn. She said: "It's little things like not being able to shower properly or wear jeans, that you take for granted, that has knocked me."

McBride, which produces Oven Pride, said they were unable to comment on the matter until July 15. However, a reply to Miss Stott from the company said they would investigate and check to see if the liquid she used was "within specification".

The email read: "I hope that you are comfortable and recovering from your accident."

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists