Artificial grass prompts one of many school closures in heatwave
- Credit: Ian Burt
With temperatures set to soar across Norfolk on Monday and amber and red weather warnings in place, some schools have closed for the day or for the afternoon.
Ashwicken Church of England Primary School it is closing from midday on both Monday and Tuesday due to extreme temperatures in the classroom and "no safe outdoor space" due to artificial grass.
These are the school closures announced so far, which will be updated during the morning:
Ashwicken CE Primary School (PE32 1LY) - closing from midday Monday and Tuesday
Aurora Eccles School, Quidenham (NR16 2NZ) - closed Monday and Tuesday
City Academy Norwich (NR4 7LP) - closed Monday and Tuesday
Downham Market Academy (PE38 9LL) - closed Monday and Tuesday
- 1 Platform offering stunning views of north Norfolk coast reopens
- 2 Hundreds turn out to see Lionesses star Lauren Hemp given freedom of town
- 3 Opinion: 'Greed is behind town centre decline'
- 4 'You could see every bone' - Abandoned dog found in ditch at camping site
- 5 'Gamechanger' lifeboat funded by Freemasons enters service
- 6 Power pylon fire causes obstruction on main road from Norwich to Wroxham
- 7 Concerns raised over proposed 343-home estate
- 8 Levelling Up bids submitted for pair of Norfolk towns
- 9 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 10 Traffic begins to build ahead of Classic Ibiza at Blickling
Heartsease Primary Academy (NR7 9UE) - Half day closing at 1pm, moving to online learning for afternoon
Iceni Academy - Methwold Site (Secondary) (IP26 4PE) - closed Monday and Tuesday
Nelson Academy, Downham Market (PE38 9PF) - closed Monday and Tuesday, work will be set via ClassDojo for children which will include live lessons
North Wootton Academy (PE30 3PT) - due to water supply issues
South Wootton Infant School (PE30 3LJ) - due to water supply issues
South Wootton Junior School (PE30 3JZ) - due to water supply issues
Reffley Academy, South Wootton (PE30 3SF) - due to water supply issues
Wicklewood Primary School And Nursery (NR18 9QJ) - School closed Monday afternoon, afternoon learning resources sent home
In a letter to parents, City Academy interim headteacher Jenny Comber said: "We have not taken this decision lightly and have considered the following factors.
"The government’s declaration of a level four UKHSA heat health alert for all of England, the likely disruption to public transport and the likely pressure on health services.
"For example, local ambulance services have declared a black alert (their highest alert level) as such there will be tremendous pressure on services should any student or staff member require an ambulance they likely would not get one.
"Our buildings are not air conditioned neither are they well suited for cooling when the outside temperature is very high.
"Early closures were considered but we did not think it safe or sensible to send children on to public transport or to walk home in the middle of the day."