Warning over heaters as devastating house fire leaves two in hospital
PUBLISHED: 14:30 20 February 2018 | UPDATED: 08:11 21 February 2018
Residents have been warned of the risks of using portable heaters in the wake of a fire which burned down a house and left two people in hospital.
Fire destroyed a semi-detached home in St Margarets Place, Sea Palling, in the early hours of Tuesday morning. The occupants - a woman believed to be in her 50s and her 18-year-old son, were both taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital after suffering smoke inhalation. The mother was later taken for treatment at the burns unit of Chelmsford Hospital, although the condition of neither is life threatening.
Fire crews from Stalham, Matham, Wroxham and Great Yarmouth tackled the blaze and managed to prevent it spreading to neighbouring properties.
Crews also used an aerial ladder platform to take the fire, which broke out after 1.30am.
Simon Mason, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service group manager, said: “The accidental fire was caused by combustible materials being left too close to a portable heater. In this current cold weather, we would urge people using portable heaters to ensure that other items are not too close. People are also advised not to leave portable heaters on all night and to regularly test their smoke alarms to ensure they are working. Keeping homes tidy and clutter free also helps to reduce the severity and rate of fire spread, as well as making it easier to escape from the building in the event of a fire.”
Christine Candlish, director of housing at Victory Housing Trust, which owned the house, said: “The inside of the home is completely burnt out, and much of the roof has been destroyed. North Norfolk District Council has arranged emergency temporary accommodation for the tenants, and Victory Housing Trust is preparing a longer-term solution to rehouse them.
“We would like to extend our thanks to the emergency services for their work to contain the fire and ensure there was no loss of life or major injury.”
Councillor Margaret Dewsbury, chairman the county council’s communities committee, said: “We should all be aware of the dangers in our homes which could potentially cause a fire.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue offers fire safety checks for homes to reduce the risk of outbreaks and advise how to stay safe a fire one does happen. For more details, visit www.norfolk.gov.uk/safety/norfolk-fire-and-rescue-service/safety-advice-and-guidance/home-safety-advice/fire-safety-at-home/free-home-fire-safety-check
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.