Splash turns 30: Sheringham leisure centre celebrates with pool party
- Credit: Archant
Townsfolk turned out in force to help Sheringham leisure centre Splash celebrate its 30th anniversary at the weekend.
The Weybourne Road site, which was opened by Princess Diana in May 1988, laid on children's activities including face painting and a smoothie bike, with staff also hosting a pool party and handing out slices of birthday cake.
Katrina Humphrey, who went along to the celebration with her five-year-old daughter Josie, remembered being taken to the official opening as a pupil at Beeston Hall School.
'We walked all the way there and lined up outside as Diana went along, shaking hands,' she said.
Splash operations manager Ash Allen said the centre, which is set to be replaced by a state-of-the-art, £10.7 million facility, was an asset to the town.
He added: 'We have members who have been coming for more than 20 years and we thought it was important to celebrate the end of an era as a new one is being created.'
- 1 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 2 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 5 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 6 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 7 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 8 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 9 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 10 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer