Family still in ‘shock’ after devastating fire destroyed all their possessions
- Credit: Archant
Financial donations to help a family devastated by a fire are being collected at a Norfolk church.
Seven members of the same family were left homeless by a fire which tore through a bungalow and mobile home in north Norfolk earlier this month.
No-one was hurt but the family living in the properties lost all their possessions.
Luke Lee-Smith, 42, who lived in the bungalow in Cromer Road, Trimingham, with his wife Helen and their three children, Justin, 14, Gabriel, eight, and Lollie, six, said they were still in "shock".
"We are living in temporary accommodation in Sheringham now," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"We started off living at the Manor hotel in Mundesley, and then a Christian retreat in Overstrand.
"We are very grateful to the Lighthouse community church In Sheringham, which is a collection point for donations. Whenever we need something we go there and pick it up."
- 1 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 8 Thousands of rural homes to benefit from broadband funding
- 9 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 10 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
A spokeswoman for the Lighthouse church said: "We are taking financial donations for the family, and they come in when they need it.
"We are not storing anything but if people say they can give furniture, etc. for when the family finds a new home, then we make a note of it and add it to a list of donations."
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that an investigation into the blaze concluded that the fire was accidental.
Mr Lee-Smith's mother and stepfather were living in the mobile home on the site at the time of the fire.
Mr Lee-Smith, who suffers from mental health issues and does not work, was in the bungalow and his mum was in the mobile.
He said at the time: "I heard an explosion. I went outside and asked mum what had happened, but she did not know.
"All the stuff in my nephew's bedroom in the mobile was flung about.
"The wall had bowed, and there was an orange fire inside.
"We all got out and called the fire brigade.
"We lost everything but the village has rallied round and given bags of clothes for the kids."
The fire also spread to a neighbour's garage.