Search

Family still in ‘shock’ after devastating fire destroyed all their possessions

PUBLISHED: 12:17 16 June 2019 | UPDATED: 12:17 16 June 2019

Luke Lee-Smith and family lost all their possessions in the Trimingham fire. Pictures: David Bale

Luke Lee-Smith and family lost all their possessions in the Trimingham fire. Pictures: David Bale

Archant

Financial donations to help a family devastated by a fire are being collected at a Norfolk church.

The Lighthouse church in Sheringham is helping the family. Picture: Google MapsThe Lighthouse church in Sheringham is helping the family. Picture: Google Maps

Seven members of the same family were left homeless by a fire which tore through a bungalow and mobile home in north Norfolk earlier this month.

No-one was hurt but the family living in the properties lost all their possessions.

Luke Lee-Smith, 42, who lived in the bungalow in Cromer Road, Trimingham, with his wife Helen and their three children, Justin, 14, Gabriel, eight, and Lollie, six, said they were still in "shock".

"We are living in temporary accommodation in Sheringham now," he said.

"We started off living at the Manor hotel in Mundesley, and then a Christian retreat in Overstrand.

"We are very grateful to the Lighthouse community church In Sheringham, which is a collection point for donations. Whenever we need something we go there and pick it up."

A spokeswoman for the Lighthouse church said: "We are taking financial donations for the family, and they come in when they need it.

"We are not storing anything but if people say they can give furniture, etc. for when the family finds a new home, then we make a note of it and add it to a list of donations."

You may also want to watch:

Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that an investigation into the blaze concluded that the fire was accidental.

Mr Lee-Smith's mother and stepfather were living in the mobile home on the site at the time of the fire.

Mr Lee-Smith, who suffers from mental health issues and does not work, was in the bungalow and his mum was in the mobile.

He said at the time: "I heard an explosion. I went outside and asked mum what had happened, but she did not know.

"All the stuff in my nephew's bedroom in the mobile was flung about.

"The wall had bowed, and there was an orange fire inside.

"We all got out and called the fire brigade.

"We lost everything but the village has rallied round and given bags of clothes for the kids."

The fire also spread to a neighbour's garage.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News