Blue plaques to remember those that served and died in the First World War
Three blue plaques will be put in place in Cromer as part of a weekend of events to commemorate the end of the First World War.
They will be unveiled on November 10 and placed on buildings associated with the families of servicemen who served and died in the conflict.
Peter Stibbons, who as chairman of the Friends of Cromer Museum was asked to put forward appropriate names, said: ”I grew up knowing many of the men and women who had seen service in the war.
“It has been a privilege to prepare these plaques and research the background detail. With 60 names on the Cromer Roll of Honour, and many more who served, the plaques have to be representative, but can lead people to further research at the church and museum.”
In Norwich Road, close to the site where Newhaven Court once stood, a plaque will recall both Commander Locker-Lampson and those men who served with him on the eastern front.
Among them were the three Baker brothers, whose diaries have been published.
Mr Locker-Lampson brought his armoured cars to Cromer in 1915 before the division set off for northern Russia. The plaque will be unveiled by members of the Baker family.
Further down Norwich Road, Cyril and Alfred Fenner will be remembered. Sons of town doctor Robert Fenner, they went on to command units of the Scots Guards and a submarine of the Royal Navy, both losing their lives as a result of their service.
Finally a plaque will be unveiled at Meadow Cottages in West Street, remembering Archie and Bertie Hastings. Together with their brother Austin, they served with the Norfolk Regiment at the second battle of Gaza in April 1917. Archie and Bertie died in the battle, together with many colleagues of the 1/4th and 1/5th Battalions. Members of the Hastings family will unveil the plaque.
Major Michael Abbs, formerly of the Royal Anglian Regiment, the successor to the Norfolk Regiment, and now officer in command of the Norfolk Army Cadets, will speak at the events.
Six plaques have already been put up as part of Cromer Town Council’s blue plaque scheme.