Say goodbye to A149 fixture - The Kit Bag is closing down
- Credit: Archant
It has been a fixture on the A149 coast road in north Norfolk for decades, and thousands of people will have driven by its prominent, green frontage.
But the Kit Bag shop in East Runton, near Cromer, is closing down.
The owners have lodged a change of use application, from shop to residential, with North Norfolk District Council.
A design and access statement submitted with the plans says it has been an army surplus shop for 27 years.
The statement said: 'The shop cannot now compete against the likes of Mountain Warehouse and Trespass along with the internet and a dearth of army surplus material. It is uneconomical and the losses cannot be sustained and it has to close.'
You may also want to watch:
The building is 20th century but it is believed it may have replaced a terrace of cottages.
It was previously a residence, a greengrocer's and then an ironmonger's.
- 1 Converted bungalow with 'wonderful' woodland views for sale
- 2 'Anything is possible': 21-year-old uses lockdown to launch business
- 3 Housing bid blocked over foul sewage fears
- 4 Norfolk beaches named among UK's top 20 hidden gems
- 5 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 6 'She married ballet' - Tributes paid to dance teacher who inspired thousands
- 7 All-terrain wheelchairs come to north Norfolk beaches
- 8 7 major events to look forward to in Norfolk this August
- 9 Yarmouth police officer admits seven child porn offences
- 10 Memorial to victims of Covid-19 unveiled