Tesco still keen to expand at Stalham
TESCO has announced its intention to expand its Stalham store, a year after ditching moves to double the size of its operation in the town.The retail giant said at that time that the decision was made after listening to advice from planning officers.
TESCO has announced its intention to expand its Stalham store, a year after ditching moves to double the size of its operation in the town.
The retail giant said at that time that the decision was made after listening to advice from planning officers.
The company added that it was confident that a revised project would provide all the benefits of a larger store while addressing local concerns.
Now, a new plan for expansion is on the cards and is likely to be submitted within months.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Tesco said: 'We remain keen to improve our Stalham store.
'Proposals for an extension are being revised. We will continue the dialogue with local groups and others and consider their
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 4 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 5 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 8 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 9 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 10 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
responses before submitting a fresh planning application in the next few months.'
Tesco originally wanted to double the size of its 1,300 sq m store, up the number of car parking spaces from 189 to 362, move the petrol station and rejig the entrance road to the supermarket and town.
The scheme had already been back to the drawing board once for changes to the road junction after a consultation exercise three years ago.
Stalham Town Council was among those with concerns about the likely impact of a larger store.
Reacting to the latest developments, chairman Tony Ross Benham
said the council would hope
to be consulted before any
proposals were re-submitted.
He added: 'The town council was involved with a pre-planning application consultation with Tesco during the beginning of last year, and at that time they said they would be submitting revised plans in the summer. We have never heard anything since.
'At that time they said they
would come back to us before