Teenager jailed after Matlaske driver died during dual carriageway race

The scene of the fatal crash on the A47 near Brundall. Picture: James Bass

The scene of the fatal crash on the A47 near Brundall. Picture: James Bass - Credit: James Bass

A north Norfolk teenager died in crash after racing another motorist a court heard as it jailed another driver involved in the speed dual.

Aaron Amis, 19, from The Street Matlaske died after being hit by another vehicle when trying to get out of his Honda Civic after it hit the central reservation on the A47 dual carriageway near Brundall at 10.25pm on April 6 last year.

He was heading back from a gathering of car enthusiasts at Great Yarmouth when he got involved in 'dangerous racing' following a 'chance encounter' on the journey, Norwich Crown Court heard.

Martin Ivory, prosecuting, who admitted there was an 'unusual nature to the case.'

While heading back along the Acle Straight Mr Amis came across Liam Taylor, who was then 18, in his VW golf.

They overtook one another but Mr Ivory said the 'racing incident' began in earnest as they reached the bottom of the Acle Straight and took the roundabout onto the dual carriageway towards Norwich.

Taylor accelerated to about 110mph and was chased, caught and passed by Mr Amis.

Most Read

Both drivers were described by one witness as having reached between 100mph and 120mph by the time they got to the Brundall roundabout.

They came off the roundabout almost side by side but Mr Amis' car accelerated away before it is then seen 'across both lanes' with its front pointing towards the central reservation having been involved in a 'fairly catastrophic' event.

Mr Ivory said Taylor's car had mud and other debris thrown up at it but he chose to drive on without stopping or attempting to warn others about the crash, saying 'we need to go' .

Jonathan Carr, a passenger friend of Mr Amis, suffered a broken vertebrae in the crash.

Taylor, now 19, from Thorpe St Andrew, who had no previous convictions, presented himself to police the following day with a prepared statement.

He was sentenced to a total of three years four months detention after having previously admitted causing death by dangerous driving.

Michael Clare, for Taylor, said his client had an exemplary character and acknowledged it was 'inexcusable' to leave the scene but insisted he 'was in a state of panic'.

He added: 'There are absolutely no winners in cases like this. Two men racing - one dies and the other goes to prison.'

Taylor was also disqualified from driving for five years by Judge Katharine Moore who said it was the 'dangerous racing' that led to the 'consequences' that brought him before the court.