Teacher completes 10 marathons for charity
A music teacher battled a leg injury to complete his 10th marathon in a year and boost an international children's charity.
Duncan Taylor from North Walsham High School has travelled all over Europe doing events from Rome and Paris to the Swiss Alps.
His final one was in Athens at the weekend, but it was hampered by the recurrence of a hamstring injury that also dogged previous runs in Berlin and Amsterdam.
'I tore a hamstring training on the treadmill for the Berlin event and had to hobble around in about 4hr 50min. Then I did it again just before Athens,' he explained.
After sports massage treatment he 'did the best I could' which saw him limp around the first half and run the second half after his leg had warmed up in the 20 degree heat.
His 5hr 10min time was 'not very impressive' but he is hoping the �4,100 raised so far Children in Crisis will be pushed towards �5,000 by the time the fund raising is finished.
Mr Taylor, from Beaconsfield Road in Norwich, has been running for eight years and done the London Marathon three times, is now having a two week rest before gearing up again for more long distance events - the Norwich half marathon at the end of the month and Bungay Black Dog next year.
- 1 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 2 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 3 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 4 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 5 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 6 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 7 Business park plan could bring 14 new jobs to North Walsham
- 8 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 9 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 10 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
He chose the Children in Crisis charity because of his role as a teacher. It works to improve the lives of children around the world affected by conflict deprivation and poverty.
His other marathons were in Rome, Paris, London, Prague, Edinburgh, Stockholm, Swiss Alpine, Berlin, and Amsterdam.
To sponsor Mr Taylor, visit his sponsorship page at www.justgiving.com/10marathonsin2010 and via the school website at www.northwalshamhigh.norfolk.sch.uk.