‘Talk, listen and stand by each other’ - Couple get set to celebrate 60 years of marriage
- Credit: Archant
Val and Ted Nichols of Buxton are celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary on Val's birthday, March 28.
They were married in All Saint's Church, Croxton, the bride's home village. It was Easter Saturday so the church was beautifully decorated with spring flowers.
The bride wore a ballerina-length dress with headdress and short veil. She was attended by three young bridesmaids, two in white and turquise. A hundreds guests were entertained in the village hall. Norwich City were in the midst of the 1959 cup run so the male guests were crowded around their cars listening to the game on the radios.
The honeymoon was spent touring the Broads. Then they settled into life in Buxton having spent all of 1958 building their own home.
They have a daughter, Carole, son, Martyn, and Carole's twin sons, Will and Ben - their grandsons.
You may also want to watch:
Over the years their family has been heavily involved in village life. Val is still chairman of Buxton Village Hall, acting parish councillor and member of the Picto Trust.
Ted is looking forward to this season's bowls to start, playing for Buxton Bowls Club.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 5 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk inspires designs for £4.8m cancer centre, as opening day nears
- 8 Inquest opens into death of teenager found in his home
- 9 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 10 Town council move to ban plastic crab lines from Cromer Pier
Their tips from 60 years of marriage: Talk, listen and stand by each other. Give and take, work things out together. Keep busy, kiss good night and kiss good morning, as it could be the last time.
Submitted by VAL NICHOLS