‘Talk, listen and stand by each other’ - Couple get set to celebrate 60 years of marriage
- Credit: Archant
Val and Ted Nichols of Buxton are celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary on Val's birthday, March 28.
They were married in All Saint's Church, Croxton, the bride's home village. It was Easter Saturday so the church was beautifully decorated with spring flowers.
The bride wore a ballerina-length dress with headdress and short veil. She was attended by three young bridesmaids, two in white and turquise. A hundreds guests were entertained in the village hall. Norwich City were in the midst of the 1959 cup run so the male guests were crowded around their cars listening to the game on the radios.
The honeymoon was spent touring the Broads. Then they settled into life in Buxton having spent all of 1958 building their own home.
They have a daughter, Carole, son, Martyn, and Carole's twin sons, Will and Ben - their grandsons.
Over the years their family has been heavily involved in village life. Val is still chairman of Buxton Village Hall, acting parish councillor and member of the Picto Trust.
Ted is looking forward to this season's bowls to start, playing for Buxton Bowls Club.
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 3 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 4 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 5 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 6 Students get set for A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 7 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 10 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
Their tips from 60 years of marriage: Talk, listen and stand by each other. Give and take, work things out together. Keep busy, kiss good night and kiss good morning, as it could be the last time.
Submitted by VAL NICHOLS