Take care as the thieving season hots up!
Norfolk police are urging residents in North Norfolk to take extra care to secure sheds, outbuildings and building sites as the warmer weather approaches.
police officers are urging residents in north Norfolk to take extra care to secure sheds, outbuildings and building sites as the warmer weather approaches.
Officers are warning that opportunist burglars will be targeting tools from gardens, building sites and sheds.
Police Community Support Officers will be keeping an eye out for open windows and doors - a magnet for unwanted burglars - and advising people on security matters.
Insp Tony Toynton said: "Many thefts and burglaries can be prevented. Most are committed by opportunist criminals who happen to see insecure premises - and help themselves to the property inside or left outside.
You may also want to watch:
"The summer months can bring with them opportunist thieves
on the look out for lapses in security which they can take advantage of.
- 1 Wind farm engineers to drill below cliffs and rivers
- 2 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 3 Fit for a king or queen: 'Castle' for sale at auction for £650,000
- 4 'Infamous, not famous': School slated for plan to honour traitor
- 5 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 6 'Crisis' appeal as heritage railway loses £765k in year
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Inquest opens into death of man whose car crashed into wall
- 9 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 10 Firms sought for new industrial units
"Just a few simple precautions can prevent people from becoming a victim."
The police offer the following advice to residents:
Get into a routine of checking that doors and windows are closed and locked when leaving your property even if you are only out for a few minutes.
Lock away all tools.
Front doors should not be left unlocked even when you are outside in the garden.
Use window-limiters if windows are to be left open at night.
Sheds and garages should be locked and alarmed where appropriate.
Ask your neighbour to help out when you are away - getting in the post and keeping watch for example.
Do not keep valuable items on view in your property.
Mark your valuables with
your postcode for easy identification.
Report anything suspicious as soon as possible to police on 0845 4564567.