Take care as the thieving season hots up!
Norfolk police are urging residents in North Norfolk to take extra care to secure sheds, outbuildings and building sites as the warmer weather approaches.
police officers are urging residents in north Norfolk to take extra care to secure sheds, outbuildings and building sites as the warmer weather approaches.
Officers are warning that opportunist burglars will be targeting tools from gardens, building sites and sheds.
Police Community Support Officers will be keeping an eye out for open windows and doors - a magnet for unwanted burglars - and advising people on security matters.
Insp Tony Toynton said: "Many thefts and burglaries can be prevented. Most are committed by opportunist criminals who happen to see insecure premises - and help themselves to the property inside or left outside.
You may also want to watch:
"The summer months can bring with them opportunist thieves
on the look out for lapses in security which they can take advantage of.
- 1 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 2 Delight at housing association seals award for affordable homes
- 3 Pop-up bank to open in town as permanent branch to close
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Lib Dem leader quits in North
- 5 Prams hurtling through the streets and chocolate wafers pinched - three quirky tales from town pubs
- 6 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 7 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 8 New PCC - I will lobby home secretary to crackdown on police abusers
- 9 Jury to hear closing speeches in North Walsham murder trial
- 10 Nearly £50,000 donated to restore Grade II listed church organ
"Just a few simple precautions can prevent people from becoming a victim."
The police offer the following advice to residents:
Get into a routine of checking that doors and windows are closed and locked when leaving your property even if you are only out for a few minutes.
Lock away all tools.
Front doors should not be left unlocked even when you are outside in the garden.
Use window-limiters if windows are to be left open at night.
Sheds and garages should be locked and alarmed where appropriate.
Ask your neighbour to help out when you are away - getting in the post and keeping watch for example.
Do not keep valuable items on view in your property.
Mark your valuables with
your postcode for easy identification.
Report anything suspicious as soon as possible to police on 0845 4564567.