Sweet sound of success for Aylsham entrepreneur Sam
The north Norfolk entrepreneur behind a contemporary music school has been honoured for her achievements after scooping a prestigious business title.
Samantha Coe from Aylsham, founder of the Norwich-based Wharf Academy music school, beat off contestants from across the country to be presented with the Natwest Everywoman Artemis Award - handed to the most inspiring businesswoman aged 25 and under - for her enterprising spirit at a ceremony at London's Dorchester Hotel yesterday.
Miss Coe, 25, began teaching music when she was a teenager, before achieving individual success with a pop folk band, the Wildflowers, which supported Take That on tour.
Since then, she has worked with musicians who wrote the soundtrack for the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire and in 2009 at the tender age of 23, she set up the academy.
Miss Coe has overcome major setbacks to grow her business - particularly the ransacking by thieves of The Wharf's original premises in King Street a year ago - and now runs her business from the renovated mediaeval church St Martins in Oak Street, and counts the Norwich Free School among her clients.
Carolyn Currie, Head of Women in Business at NatWest, praised Miss Coe's achievements.
'Every year we continue to be overwhelmed by the stories of some truly inspirational female entrepreneurs, who more often than not have overcome huge adversity to achieve the success they once only dreamed of,' she said.
- 1 Woman says symptom diary could 'save lives' after wait for cancer diagnosis
- 2 Barriers could block mountain bikes from north Norfolk beauty spot
- 3 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 4 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 5 People to get booster jabs sooner - but not at walk-in centres
- 6 Plan for new public loos in north Norfolk get £500,000 boost
- 7 Bereaved families' anger at No 10 staff video joking over Christmas party
- 8 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 9 'We were braced for cancellations' - Hotel bosses on emergence of Omicron
- 10 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
Miss Coe was runner up for Young Entrepreneur Award at the EDP Business Awards in 2010.