Stalham fundraising attempt
A charity event is being held to help a Stalham woman who is cycling round Kenya to raise money for a cancer charity.
Mandy Mayes, 45, is competing in the gruelling Women V Cancer 300-mile cycle ride race to help raise money for three cancer charities, Breast Cancer Care, Ovarian Cancer Action and Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust .
The race will see 80 women from across the UK cycling nearly 300 miles across Kenya in November this year.
To help raise money for the ride, Mrs Mayes held an autumn ball last October at the Sutton Staithe Hotel, selling out the 220 tickets for the event.
The ball helped her rise more than the �2,800 needed, with the last total count raised being �2, 863.88
You may also want to watch:
But she plans to keep going and hopes to raise as much as she can.
Now she is holding a charity event with the Booze Brothers Band at the Sutton Staithe hotel in Stalham, on July 2 to raise funds, adding to the �3,000 she has raised so far.
- 1 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 4 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 5 'Pass slow and wide' horse procession held in north Norfolk
- 6 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 7 Town's skatepark finally reopens
- 8 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
- 9 Lifeboat crews called to help sinking fishing boat off Norfolk coast
- 10 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
She said: 'I have never been abroad without my family before so this is all very new to me but I know that I will do this and somehow finish this cycle ride as it is a personal challenge to me and for my family.'
Mrs Mayes, 45, has a sister Jackie Rodreugiuz, 49, who now lives in America and who has fought ovarian cancer in the past, and their brother, Jimmy Griffiths, died the day after his 21st birthday, after being diagnosed with cancer when he was 16.
Tickets are available from Mandy Mayes 01692 582937 and Steve Mayes on 07511656561.