Stalham Brass Band stalwarts remembered
Two stalwarts of Stalham Brass band are to be remembered in a new set of banners.
Demobbed from the Navy in 1946 - after serving during the Second World War - Tom Feek and Gerald Thirst returned to their love of performing music in the Stalham Brass Band.
Gerald played Euphonium and led the band as director of music for more than 50 years. Tom played cornet, and in later years bass, in the band for nearly 30 years.
It was the wish of both families that Gerald and Tom's time with the band be celebrated in a permanent form.
A few years further on, with family donations and just over �1,000 of fundraising by the band, that wish has come to fruition.
You may also want to watch:
A new set of banners for the band has finally arrived and been presented by Mrs Yvonne Thirst and Mrs Beryl Feek, the widows of Gerald and Tom. Each banner is embroidered on the front with the crown of the Queen's Jubilee Award - that the band holds - and on the player's side with a dedication to the two men.
Gerald's son Tim Thirst, director of music for Stalham Brass Band said: 'The British brass band is an important part of this nation's heritage and we do not forget the hard work that has been put in by many band stalwarts over the years to keep that tradition alive. It was fitting that the band's first engagement with the new banners was the joyous occasion of a wedding blessing.'
- 1 Gresham's School to erect 25 blue plaques for famous former pupils
- 2 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 3 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 4 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 5 Man seriously injured after crash
- 6 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 7 Road in north Norfolk village shut due to leaking water main
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 10 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed