Sport England funding helps support new North Norfolk District Council initiative
- Credit: Archant
A new sporting initiative is being launched in north Norfolk next week to help people get better access to facilities and to encourage more to take up sport.
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) is officially launching its Sport England funded 'Sports Clubs and Hubs' project in Holt on Tuesday.
It comes following £211,512 of National Lottery funding from Sport England's Community Sport Activation fund, which will help see the new project rolled out across the district over the next three years.
Glyn Williams, cabinet member for leisure and cultural services, said: 'We asked local people what prevented them from accessing sport or physical activity and I am pleased to say that we have listened and that the results have determined how and where we are offering our exciting new activity programme.
'We are absolutely delighted to receive funding from the Community Sport Activation Fund. It will allow us to develop our sports provision for people who currently have difficulty finding local sports and exercise facilities.'
You may also want to watch:
The project will start in September and there will be a selection of activities ranging from martial arts to street dance.
Each class will cost £1 per session for a period of ten weeks and activities will take place at NNDC's three community sports centres in Cromer, North Walsham and Stalham, Places for People leisure centres in Fakenham, North Walsham and Sheringham and also at various community settings across north Norfolk.
- 1 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 4 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 8 Car gets stuck at ford after missing warning sign
- 9 Rare melanistic seal pups caught on camera
- 10 Hospital gets a brand new MRI machine
NNDC is among 88 projects to receive a share of £15m of funding to support grassroots sport activity across the country.