Society Matters to building society
- Credit: Archant
The Sheringham branch of Norwich & Peterborough (N&P) Building Society has been announced as a winner in the inaugural Society Matters Awards.
The branch, on the High Street, is one of 20 that has been recognised by the Society for its commitment to making a positive impact on its local community and responding to the issues that are important to its customers in Sheringham.
Society Matters is the name of the corporate responsibility programme of Yorkshire Building Society, which N&P is part of. It aims to make a genuine difference through charity fundraising, volunteering and community activities.
In 2015 colleagues and customers donated Christmas presents for children and teenagers to the Send a Smile with Santa appeal run by Norwich & Norfolk University Hospital.
Colleagues have also volunteered their time at Age UK taking part in a dementia awareness course where they learnt how to help people with the condition.
You may also want to watch:
The Society offers every colleague up to 31 hours' paid leave to help out at a charity or good cause of their choice through its corporate volunteering programme.
The branch also in 2015 raised £1,065 for the Society's Hour of Need campaign which funds Marie Curie nursing care for people with a terminal illness. Every £20 funds one hour of care and customers and colleagues have raised the equivalent of more than 53 hours of Marie Curie nursing care.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 2 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 3 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 4 Black Prince returns for first journey of the year at North Norfolk railway
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 7 'Why reopening on June 21 is the right decision'
- 8 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 9 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 10 Is this the ultimate Norfolk road trip?
Clare Jermy, manager of the Sheringham branch of N&P, said: 'As an organisation, we believe that together with our members we can make a real difference in our local communities.
'I'm honoured that we have been recognised with a Society Matters Award for the work we have done in 2015 in support of the Sheringham community, and we will be continuing this work in 2016.'