Six jobs cut as electrical retailer Hughes closes Cromer branch after ‘significant losses’
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk branch of the electrical goods retailer Hughes has shut its doors and cut six jobs, after making 'significant' losses for some time.
The Cromer store closed yesterday (Monday, February 25), and signs at the former Holt Road premises now advise rental customers to visit the company's nearest branch in North Walsham.
The store had suffered difficult trading conditions and had been losing money for some time.
But a company spokesperson said the high street downturn had recently made the situation more difficult, and forced owners into a 'tough decision'.
The news of the businesses closure was met with a mixed reaction from the town's residents.
You may also want to watch:
Hugh McCrory said: 'There are local shops that do electronics.'
He urged people to 'shop local and keep the town vibrant'.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 6 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 7 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 8 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 9 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 10 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
While Graham Walters said: 'There were never that many people in Hughes, in Cromer.'
He added: 'It will be a shame though. I got my Sky services from them two weeks ago.'
And Jordan Wells added: 'I imagine they could no longer compete with the cheaper prices and next day delivery and installation plus free removal and recycling of your existing appliance which AO and other online retailers offer.'
A spokesperson for Hughes Electrical said: 'As a business we are not immune from the downturn on the high street which means, regrettably, we have to take tough decisions.
'Our shop in Cromer has been making losses for some time but these have increased significantly in the past few months leading to our decision to close it, unfortunately leading to six redundancies.
'However, we hope some of those affected can be offered new positions within the group.
'All our 30 stores throughout East Anglia remain open for business and will continue to do so apart for one which is subject to a potential change in its property ownership.
'This apart, there are no plans to reduce our commitment to electrical retailing in the region.
'Customers who have equipment on rental from Cromer are now being looked after by our North Walsham branch.'
Rental customers are advised to contact the store by phone, on 01692 402219.
Have you been affected by the Hughes closure in Cromer? Email reporter Jessica.Frank-Keyes@archant.co.uk