Teenager took her own life after inquest of close friend

PUBLISHED: 10:53 16 May 2020 | UPDATED: 11:12 16 May 2020

Sinead Storey took her own life after attending the inquest of her friend Mia Titheridge (pictured)           Picture: Tori Titheridge

Sinead Storey took her own life after attending the inquest of her friend Mia Titheridge (pictured) Picture: Tori Titheridge


A 19-year-old student who was “full of adventure” took her own life following the inquest of close friend Mia Titheridge.

The Huntercombe Hospital. Pic: ArchantThe Huntercombe Hospital. Pic: Archant

Sinead Storey, 19, died in the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital after being found unresponsive in a hotel on Friday November, 22 last year.

An inquest into her death was held at Norfolk Coroner’s Court on Friday May, 15.

In a written statement from her family, Miss Storey was described as a beautiful and intelligent girl who was full of life and adventures and leading up to her death she had been focussed on her career, making plans for 2020 including concerts and was volunteering, including with the elderly.

The court heard Miss Storey, of Ash Tree Road, Doncaster, attended the inquest of friend Mia Titheridge, who took her own life at Huntercombe Hospital in Buxton in 2017, where Miss Storey had also been a patient.

Norfolk Coroner's Court in Norwich. Picture: ANTONY KELLYNorfolk Coroner's Court in Norwich. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Assistant coroner Johanna Thompson said Miss Storey appeared to blame herself and felt guilty around Miss Titheridge’s death.

A written statement from a clinical psychologist, who saw Miss Storey for treatment, said she had discussed concerns with a team manager about Miss Storey attending Miss Titheridge’s inquest and came up with an action plan which included contacting Norwich mental health services.

The court heard Miss Storey was determined to travel to Norwich to Miss Titheridge’s inquest, despite concern from her family, to help with closure around her death.

A written statement from a witness during Miss Titheridge’s inquest said Miss Storey was angry and upset about what she heard in court.

Miss Storey was found unresponsive in a city hotel room on November 21. The cause of death was given as hypoxic brain injury and cardiac arrest as a result of hanging.

The court heard Miss Storey had a history of mental health problems and had been diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder.

Closing the inquest, Ms Thompson gave a conclusion of suicide.

- Do you need to talk? The Samaritans can be contacted 24 hours a day 365 days a year on 116 123.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News