Crazy crafts take to the seas in annual carnival raft race
- Credit: Archant
Sheringham RNLI won first place in the town carnival's annual raft race for the second year running, on a craft cobbled together from building materials, foam and gaffer tape.
Crowds lined the promenade to watch the two-man team - lifeboat crew members Matt Blake and Lewis Gray - win the cup for fastest raft in the event, which was held on the central beach on Sunday.
Other competitors included a crew from Ladybird Pre-school Nursery who came in last with their 'Bishy Barnaby' craft but took the best-dressed prize, three teams from the Lobster pub, which was overall winner, and a crew made up of Sheringham Playpark Revamp committee members, who bagged the wackiest raft cup for their Jaws-inspired barrel boat complete with giant shark.
Lobster crew member Dave King, who is a site supervisor working on repairs to the sinkhole which opened up in the town centre two months ago, was invited to take part in the race by pub staff.
He said: "I wanted to join in as the hospitality I've been shown in Sheringham has been fantastic, everyone has been so welcoming and they even refer to me as 'Sinkhole Dave'."
Town mayor Madeleine Ashcroft, who presented prizes, said: "Everybody who took part did a brilliant job with their rafts, we have been incredibly lucky with the weather and it's just a great way to start off the carnival celebrations."
- 1 Swap shop for women's clothing opens in Cromer
- 2 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 3 Food review, The Crawfish Inn, Thursford: ‘Massive value for money'
- 4 Lily, 13, 'excited' as first novel hits book shops
- 5 New boss hopes to put his own stamp on Sheringham cafe
- 6 School celebrates being Norfolk's first to gain LGBTQ+ inclusion award
- 7 Weather warning as strong winds set to hit parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 9 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident