Crazy crafts take to the seas in annual carnival raft race
- Credit: Archant
Sheringham RNLI won first place in the town carnival's annual raft race for the second year running, on a craft cobbled together from building materials, foam and gaffer tape.
Crowds lined the promenade to watch the two-man team - lifeboat crew members Matt Blake and Lewis Gray - win the cup for fastest raft in the event, which was held on the central beach on Sunday.
Other competitors included a crew from Ladybird Pre-school Nursery who came in last with their 'Bishy Barnaby' craft but took the best-dressed prize, three teams from the Lobster pub, which was overall winner, and a crew made up of Sheringham Playpark Revamp committee members, who bagged the wackiest raft cup for their Jaws-inspired barrel boat complete with giant shark.
Lobster crew member Dave King, who is a site supervisor working on repairs to the sinkhole which opened up in the town centre two months ago, was invited to take part in the race by pub staff.
He said: "I wanted to join in as the hospitality I've been shown in Sheringham has been fantastic, everyone has been so welcoming and they even refer to me as 'Sinkhole Dave'."
You may also want to watch:
Town mayor Madeleine Ashcroft, who presented prizes, said: "Everybody who took part did a brilliant job with their rafts, we have been incredibly lucky with the weather and it's just a great way to start off the carnival celebrations."
- 1 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 2 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 3 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 4 Roll up, roll up as circus hits north Norfolk coast
- 5 Treasure Island coming to north Norfolk pub garden
- 6 Rescuers called as seaside visitors cut off by high tide
- 7 Joy as classic diesel loco gets back on the tracks
- 8 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 9 Rail service disrupted after boat hits railway bridge
- 10 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show