Crazy crafts take to the seas in annual carnival raft race
- Credit: Archant
Sheringham RNLI won first place in the town carnival's annual raft race for the second year running, on a craft cobbled together from building materials, foam and gaffer tape.
Crowds lined the promenade to watch the two-man team - lifeboat crew members Matt Blake and Lewis Gray - win the cup for fastest raft in the event, which was held on the central beach on Sunday.
Other competitors included a crew from Ladybird Pre-school Nursery who came in last with their 'Bishy Barnaby' craft but took the best-dressed prize, three teams from the Lobster pub, which was overall winner, and a crew made up of Sheringham Playpark Revamp committee members, who bagged the wackiest raft cup for their Jaws-inspired barrel boat complete with giant shark.
Lobster crew member Dave King, who is a site supervisor working on repairs to the sinkhole which opened up in the town centre two months ago, was invited to take part in the race by pub staff.
He said: "I wanted to join in as the hospitality I've been shown in Sheringham has been fantastic, everyone has been so welcoming and they even refer to me as 'Sinkhole Dave'."
You may also want to watch:
Town mayor Madeleine Ashcroft, who presented prizes, said: "Everybody who took part did a brilliant job with their rafts, we have been incredibly lucky with the weather and it's just a great way to start off the carnival celebrations."
- 1 When 13-year-old Prince Philip visited Cromer following crab boat disaster
- 2 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 3 'How it should be' - Cromer abuzz as businesses reopen
- 4 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 5 £500 grant paves way for new swimmers
- 6 'We love the town sentimentally' - Holt opticians firm opens 10th store in lockdown
- 7 Police and community fridge to be discussed at Sheringham town meeting
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Seal trips braced for busy season ahead - but quiet first day after easing
- 10 North Walsham gym to re-open despite vaccinations continuing