Sheringham carnival hand-outs
Sheringham Carnival Association has held its annual meeting and handed out �2,500 to local charities.During the annual meeting at the Burlington Hotel, the association appointed Tony Nelson as honorary president, a newly created role which recognises Mr Nelson's support for many years.
Sheringham Carnival Association has held its annual meeting and handed out �2,500 to local charities.
During the annual meeting at the Burlington Hotel, the association appointed Tony Nelson as honorary president, a newly created role which recognises Mr Nelson's support for many years.
Mr Nelson said he would do everything he could to promote the carnival.
Chairman Helena Beresford and vice chairman Martyn Jackson will continue their work in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
While paying tribute to the generous contribution and widespread involvement of the public this year, they expressed concern at the continued reduction in income from sponsorship and advertising.
As a result the carnival has not made a profit in 2009 and the association had to restrict its donations to only 16 of the charities which applied and also had to dip into reserves.
- 1 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 2 Tributes to 'true gentleman' from well-known Cromer family
- 3 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 4 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 5 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 6 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 7 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 8 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 9 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
The association will try to increase the sponsorship and advertising contributions for next year.
Carnival queen Felicity Farraway and her attendants Tisha West and Aneliese Smith presented donations to Age Concern, the Alzheimer's Society, Crossroads Care, Different Strokes, the Evergreen Lunch Club, Excel 2000, First Responders, the Norfolk and Norwich Association for the Blind, the Salvation Army Band, Sheringham Children's Trust, St John Ambulance and Woodfields School.
The Canaan Christian Centre, Cromer Hospital dialysis unit, Heart Foyer and Ladybird Playgroup will also receive donations.
Prospective volunteers for next year's carnival can come and join the association at its next meeting on January 5 at the Morley Club, starting at 7.30pm. Mrs Beresford said that for those not keen on meetings, there were other ways to help. Call her on 01263 823463 or email email@example.com.
The current carnival caravan, used as an information hub in the run up to and during the carnival, is no longer serviceable and a replacement is needed.
t Any charity wishing to receive a donation from the 2010 carnival funds can apply in writing to Mrs Beresford at 16 Sycamore Grove, Sheringham, NR26 8PG or John Lessels, 28 Cowslip Lane, Sheringham, NR26 8XL.