Fun-packed family evening to replace Sheringham Carnival’s cancelled firework finale
- Credit: Archant
Wildfire risks may have put a dampener on tonight's Sheringham Carnival's grand firework finale, but, determined to make sure families and holidaymakers don't miss out, committee members have come up with plans for a fun-packed programme of replacement events.
The firework finale, which was due to kick off with a torchlight procession through the town at 9pm, was cancelled amid concerns about the threat of wildfires, with a notice on Facebook saying: 'Despite the rain that fell last weekend, the firing site remains tinder dry. We apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment this causes.'
However, carnival-goers will now be able to enjoy and evening of games, music and a barbecue outside the Lobster pub and on Lifeboat Plain from 6pm onwards, with an awards ceremony and raffle draw taking place at 8.15pm.
Other events today include a children's boating competition on the Leas at 2pm and carnival songs of praise from Sheringham Salvation Army Band on the promenade below the Two Lifeboats Hotel at 7.30pm.
Sheringham in Bloom will also be hosting its regular carnival Open Gardens event, which starts at 26 de Morley Garth and runs until 5pm.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 3 Ex-landlord, 95, pulls pint in his old pub after 32 years
- 4 House next to 384-year-old shop on market for £700k
- 5 What next for town, a year after supermarket inferno?
- 6 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines
- 7 Norfolk to get a 250-mile art trail - funded by European cash
- 8 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 9 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 10 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England