Families go quackers for carnival duck race
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of bobbing yellow plastic toys battled it out for sashes, medals and cash prizes, at the annual Sheringham carnival duck race.
Families lined up along the banks of a stream running along Beeston common to cheer on nearly 300 ducks, with competitors also paying £1 a go to put their names on more than 100 ping pong balls.
Organised by Mac's Electricals and sponsored by Betfred and Woody's Works, the event, which sold out in minutes, is one of the carnival's main fundraisers, netting around £500 a year.
Carnival chairman Stuart McClean said that although takings from parade day bucket collections were significantly down this year, committee members and volunteers hoped to see an increase in donations at Sunday's firework finale.
He added: "The duck race is a really popular event and I think it continued the lovely atmosphere we have had at this year's carnival right from the start."
You may also want to watch:
Carnival events continue tomorrow (Saturday) with a tide fight in front of the Leas at 11am; a fun dog show at Cromer Road playground at 1pm and a car treasure trail setting off from the Dormy House Hotel at 2.30pm.
Sunday, which is also Sheringham RNLI lifeboat day, includes a chalk-a-picture competition on the west promenade at 10am; a boating competition on the Leas at 2pm.
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 5 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 6 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
- 7 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 8 Man taken to hospital after crash near Aylsham
- 9 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 10 Man denies murder of 42-year-old who was stabbed in neck
The torchlit procession sets off from the Lobster pub at 9pm, with the fireworks finale kicking off at 9.45pm on the Leas.
For more information, visit the Sheringham Carnival (official) Facebook page.