Sea Scouting for thrills
- Credit: Archant
On a cold Boxing Day morning the scene was set, Cromer seafront with icy cold waves crashing onto the beach and would you believe scantily-clad volunteers ready to brave the surf for charity or for some other mad reason.
One of the brave is Robin Rush of Aylsham who is a sprightly 74-year-old who still cycles and runs weekly on top of keeping his own business going.
His grandson Jake attended Buxton Sea Scouts 10 years ago and Robin decided that Buxton Scouts as a charity needed a boost to provide a balanced programme and outdoor experiences for our local youngsters who attended our scout troop.
Robin, for the last ten years, has braved the seas on Boxing Day to raise money for the local group, which has enabled them to provide vital equipment and this year has surpassed all expectations by raising £3000.
Graham Breeze, 1st Buxton Lamas Group Scout Leader, said: 'We would like to thank Robin and all his sponsors for donating this sum of money to the group. 1st Buxton Scout Group provides the children with a varied skills programme to serve them through childhood and enhance their teen and adult years.
'The Scout leaders are expected to join Robin in the sea on Boxing Day and we are all happy to turn up, show Robin our support and get wet.
'We would like to thank Robin and his sponsors for their continued generous donations. The money as always will be spent wisely, put to good use for the benefit of all the youngsters who join in our activities.'
- 1 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
- 2 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 4 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 5 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 6 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 7 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 8 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 9 Seaside village set to sparkle by turning into giant advent calendar
- 10 House of Gucci - the Norfolk connection