Seal pup ‘not more than 10 days old’ rescued from road
- Credit: Archant
A seal pup not more than 10 days old had a lucky escape after straying from the beach in east Norfolk.
The pup was found on the road between Sea Palling and Waxham after having struggled over the sand dunes.
Peter Ansell, chairman of Friends of Horsey Seals (FoHS), said they were called in at around 2.30pm on Tuesday, December 17 to help the pup.
Mr Ansell said: "A member of the public saw it and phoned it into the RSPCA.
"They couldn't attend, so they got in touch with us to see if we could go out to it. It was 10 days old at most, separated from its mother. We put it on a stretcher and the RSPCA came and took it to their centre at East Winch."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ansell said there were "all sorts of reasons" why seal pups were abandoned.
He said: "Some mothers abandon them, some get scared off. This one was in as good a condition as you would expect."
- 1 'Dystopian castle' in seaside village may escape demolition
- 2 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 3 Teenagers brighten bus shelter with village mural
- 4 Village pub wins status as asset of community value
- 5 'Fishermen should grow up' - Report sparks clash over crab fishery
- 6 Three farms hit by thefts of valuable tractor GPS systems
- 7 Group overwhelmed by support as they aim to 'reclaim the lane'
- 8 Fishermen accuse wind farm giant of bullying in compensation row
- 9 Historian's shock over footprints on Edith Cavell tombstone
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray