Runton Coastwatch calls for new recruits to boost north Norfolk service
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk coastwatch team is calling for more volunteers to help keep a lookout along our coastline.
The Runton Coastwatch station is hoping to boost its numbers and offer its services seven days a week.
Linda Lawrence, caretaker manager at Runton, and Caister Coastwatch manager, said: 'It's a great way to get involved with the community and to meet new people.
'We do three hour shifts and we're currently open 10am to 4pm Saturday to Wednesday.'
The watch, which is based at the Runton carpark, on Beach Road, currently has around six volunteers, and is looking for as many new recruits as possible to offer a daily watch.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lawrence said: 'National Coastwatch Institution (NCI) watchkeepers provide the eyes and ears along our coastline, carrying out a visual watch, particularly observing the activities of vulnerable people on the beach, keeping a watchful eye on shipping, monitoring radio channels and conducting a listening watch in poor visibility.'
She added: 'Watchkeepers are trained to deal with emergencies.
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show
- 3 £2m bid for 62 new independent living apartments for over 55s
- 4 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 5 Stunning sunset artwork being raffled for new cancer centre
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 8 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 9 Goats on a slope return to seaside town for summer grazing
- 10 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
'The full training by NCI ensures that rigorous standards are met but all this is done at your own pace on watch.
'Our volunteers, both male and female come from all walks of life and offer a wide range of skills and experience.
The watch works with the Coastguard and Border Force.
Anyone who wants to join Runton Coastwatch should contact the station manager on 07944047392 or 01692 671913, or email email@example.com, who will be happy to answer any questions you may have about becoming a volunteer.