Runton Coastwatch calls for new recruits to boost north Norfolk service
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk coastwatch team is calling for more volunteers to help keep a lookout along our coastline.
The Runton Coastwatch station is hoping to boost its numbers and offer its services seven days a week.
Linda Lawrence, caretaker manager at Runton, and Caister Coastwatch manager, said: 'It's a great way to get involved with the community and to meet new people.
'We do three hour shifts and we're currently open 10am to 4pm Saturday to Wednesday.'
The watch, which is based at the Runton carpark, on Beach Road, currently has around six volunteers, and is looking for as many new recruits as possible to offer a daily watch.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lawrence said: 'National Coastwatch Institution (NCI) watchkeepers provide the eyes and ears along our coastline, carrying out a visual watch, particularly observing the activities of vulnerable people on the beach, keeping a watchful eye on shipping, monitoring radio channels and conducting a listening watch in poor visibility.'
She added: 'Watchkeepers are trained to deal with emergencies.
- 1 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 2 Welcome to our new website
- 3 ‘A little bit of joy’ - Coastal town gets a Christmas tree with a difference
- 4 Nurse died at home, inquest hears
- 5 Supermarket ‘champion’ clocks up thousands for charity - in spite of battling coronavirus
- 6 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 7 'This is a call to arms': Care home launches defibrillator campaign
- 8 How a north Norfolk holiday hotspot was before tourists
- 9 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 10 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
'The full training by NCI ensures that rigorous standards are met but all this is done at your own pace on watch.
'Our volunteers, both male and female come from all walks of life and offer a wide range of skills and experience.
The watch works with the Coastguard and Border Force.
Anyone who wants to join Runton Coastwatch should contact the station manager on 07944047392 or 01692 671913, or email email@example.com, who will be happy to answer any questions you may have about becoming a volunteer.