England rugby star’s wife whose cancer is in remission looks to future
- Credit: Archant
A cancer survivor who was told her days were numbered has been talking about being able to look to the future again, after finding out her blood cancer was in remission.
Tiffany Youngs, the wife of Leicester and England rugby star Tom Youngs, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, just 18 months after having a baby.
In a new episode of the Backstory Podcast, the 32-year-old from Happisburgh talks about how she dealt with three years of ill-health and numerous different treatments, including a stem cell transplant.
She said: 'I will always have it at the back of my head, but I'm forward thinking now, and we have booked our holiday for the summer.'
However, she said she was still 'terrified' of it happening again.
You may also want to watch:
'Mentally, it's been hard - being told that, that's it, and then that everything's fine and the world's your oyster. There's always that chance of it coming back again, but I'm starting to believe it, maybe.'
She was diagnosed in 2014 and was informed in May last year that the illness would be terminal.
- 1 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 2 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 'Proud to be a Cromer fisherman' - Tributes paid to Norfolk stalwart
- 7 Cromer: gang throw glass bottles at group near beach
- 8 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
- 9 Tribute shows planned in memory of Paul Eastwood
- 10 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
She said that, after they passed on the news to their daughter Maisie, four, that she was in remission, she told her teachers that 'my mummy's not going to Heaven anymore'.
She said the initial diagnosis had been a terrible shock to the family and her whole perspective on life had changed.
She said: 'From then on everything I wanted to do was for my daughter. I lived for every moment with my daughter and husband, 24/7.
'I told Tom what I wanted for Maisie for the future. He would have been a single dad with a daughter, but, hopefully, he would not have had to give up rugby.'
The family live in Leicester where Tom, who grew up in Aylsham, plays for the Leicester Tigers. He also has 28 caps for England's national rugby team.
Tiffany, a trained beautician, went to school in Happisburgh and Beeston Hall School in West Runton, before going to Gresham's School, where she met fellow pupil Tom. They moved to Leicester in 2010.
Her interview can be heard in full for free on Apple Podcasts here: