England rugby star’s wife whose cancer is in remission looks to future
- Credit: Archant
A cancer survivor who was told her days were numbered has been talking about being able to look to the future again, after finding out her blood cancer was in remission.
Tiffany Youngs, the wife of Leicester and England rugby star Tom Youngs, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, just 18 months after having a baby.
In a new episode of the Backstory Podcast, the 32-year-old from Happisburgh talks about how she dealt with three years of ill-health and numerous different treatments, including a stem cell transplant.
She said: 'I will always have it at the back of my head, but I'm forward thinking now, and we have booked our holiday for the summer.'
However, she said she was still 'terrified' of it happening again.
You may also want to watch:
'Mentally, it's been hard - being told that, that's it, and then that everything's fine and the world's your oyster. There's always that chance of it coming back again, but I'm starting to believe it, maybe.'
She was diagnosed in 2014 and was informed in May last year that the illness would be terminal.
- 1 Taxi driver beaten up in case of mistaken identity
- 2 Park-and-ride scheme plan for busy seaside towns
- 3 Sea sponge given name with a Norfolk twist
- 4 Rats issue at coastal car park resolved
- 5 Trees planted as part of community project
- 6 Pretty 16th century cottage with 'door that leads to nowhere' is for sale
- 7 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 8 Mental health hospital owed £2m to staff and creditors when it shut
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
She said that, after they passed on the news to their daughter Maisie, four, that she was in remission, she told her teachers that 'my mummy's not going to Heaven anymore'.
She said the initial diagnosis had been a terrible shock to the family and her whole perspective on life had changed.
She said: 'From then on everything I wanted to do was for my daughter. I lived for every moment with my daughter and husband, 24/7.
'I told Tom what I wanted for Maisie for the future. He would have been a single dad with a daughter, but, hopefully, he would not have had to give up rugby.'
The family live in Leicester where Tom, who grew up in Aylsham, plays for the Leicester Tigers. He also has 28 caps for England's national rugby team.
Tiffany, a trained beautician, went to school in Happisburgh and Beeston Hall School in West Runton, before going to Gresham's School, where she met fellow pupil Tom. They moved to Leicester in 2010.
Her interview can be heard in full for free on Apple Podcasts here: