Royal party to fly the flag for Cromer
The countdown to a summer of festivities has begun in Cromer.
The Cromer Carnival committee this week announced its royal line-up is complete following the appointments of 2016 Prince and Princess, 11-year-old Ashley Beshir and Ebony Barratt, aged eight.
They will lead the town's gala week celebrations in August, alongside Junior Attendants Sian Clarke and Trinity Sayer-Folley, both aged 13, and Miss Cromer Joanna Annison, 22, and her Senior Attendant Sammy Armstrong, all from Cromer.
Asked what it meant to represent his town following his selection, Ashley said: 'It feels amazing, I thought I did not have a chance but then I heard them call my name.'
Ebony said being the Princess was something she had always wanted and added that she was 'really happy' to be selected.
Pat West, the compere for the selection ceremony on Sunday, said 29 girls had entered the competition and five boys.
He said: 'It is a very popular competition. We hope now they will take part in as many carnival events as they can as they will be the faces of the carnival this year.'
- 1 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 5 TV shows and films shot in Norfolk getting released in 2022
- 4 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 5 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 6 'A coffee shop was a childhood dream' - Q&A with Mel Benns
- 7 Security fears raised over Badersfield asylum seeker plan
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Bid to open glampsite in north Norfolk meadow
- 10 Siberian dogs are finding new Norfolk homes thanks to three animal lovers
Cromer Carnival will be held from Saturday, August 13, to Friday, August 19, with Carnival Day on Wednesday, August 17.