Revived north Norfolk Royal British Legion branch to hold first AGM in Northrepps
- Credit: Archant
The head of a newly relaunched Royal British Legion (RBL) group in north Norfolk has announced the date of the group's first annual general meeting.
The Northrepps RBL group, which was revived earlier this year, and is chaired by Lorna Fish, will hold its first AGM next month, on Monday, October 22.
Mrs Fish, whose father, a former prisoner of war, founded the branch in 1949, says the group are hoping to reach out to the younger generation to help continue its long history in the village.
Mrs Fish said: 'We held our first branch meeting on Monday, September 3, and it was very well attended with old members returning and new members.
'We also had two Royal British Legion county officers present: Paul Giles, county recruiting officer, and Hugh King, public relations officer.
'Our branch now has a full complement of officers, and it is very pleasing to state that it now has a future again within our community, amounting to seventy years in October 2019.'
Mrs Fish added that members put forward suggestions for social and fundraising events for the future.
- 1 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 2 New group's bid to take over Holt Hall
- 3 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 4 Nail bar owner now planning to open third shop in north Norfolk
- 5 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 6 Police investigate report of drink-spiking at North Walsham pub
- 7 30-year-old to take over as district council leader
- 8 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 9 Sheringham councillor memorialised at The Reef
- 10 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
She said the group hoped to become a 21st century branch while incorporating the RBL's core values, and supporting ex-servicemen and women and their families.
Mrs Fish said: 'In the new year, one of our initiatives will be to reach out to the younger generation, who are our future.'
The AGM, on October 22, will be held at 7.30pm at the Northrepps Country Cottage Hotel, when the group will announce their plans for the Northrepps village commemoration on November 11.
Mrs Fish also spoke of her delight that the group's standard was carried in the GP90 parade.
She said: 'Although our Branch has no Standard Bearer at the moment, we were honoured to have it carried at the GP90 parade by Peter Howes of the Wymondham RBL branch.
'Our wreath was laid by Colin Chambers of the North Walsham Branch.
There can be no doubt that this was a highly emotional event, and a magnificent tribute to all those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom.'
For further information about joining the Northrepps RBL group, contact chairman Lorna Fish on 01263 579633.
New members of any age are welcome.