Coffee lovers urged to join Norfolk's first reusable cup scheme
- Credit: Supplied by Greening Holt
Holt has become the first town in Norfolk to launch a reusable cup scheme for hot drinks.
The Holt Cup scheme means people can pick up a durable, polypropylene cup for a £1 deposit when they buy a drink at cafes around the town, which can be reused to cut down on waste.
The scheme involves around six venues so far including the cafe at Holt Country Park and the Gresham's School canteen, and is being managed by the Wandering Whelk Café in partnership with Greening Holt.
Sarah Tribe, from Greening Holt, said she was inspired to launch the scheme after seeing something similar in Shrewsbury.
She said: "The Holt Cup aims to put a stop to single use disposable takeaway cups, encouraging the town to move towards becoming zero waste."
Ms Tribe said she contacted the people behind the Shrewsbury scheme, who shared their expertise to help its equivalent in Holt get off the ground.
She said: "The project will rely on Holt’s independent beverage locations all coming together and getting behind this town-wide scheme, alongside the community as a whole adopting the 'choose to reuse' ethos."
- 1 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 2 Road closures in place for north Norfolk marathon
- 3 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 4 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 5 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 6 Hundreds visit new art gallery in Cromer in its first week
- 7 Couple about to leave north Norfolk fish and chip shop
- 8 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips
- 9 'He inspires me' - Alice preps for marathon with her dad
- 10 Human rights monolith to be unveiled on village green
Ms Tribe said that of the seven million single use cups that are thrown away every day in the UK, fewer than 1pc were recycled.
She said: "Compostable takeaway cups are a great start to becoming sustainable however, most of the time they end up in general rubbish and aren't composted at all. The Holt Cup is 100pc polypropylene and is designed to be used hundreds of times.
"Customers will simply pay a £1 deposit, and they can return the cup to any participating cafe and get their next takeaway served in a fresh cup. Should they wish to hand their cup in, they can reclaim their £1 deposit at any time."
Other venues taking part in the scheme so far include Eric's Fish and Chips, Il Calabrese and Horatio's.
Cafes or other venues interested in taking part in the Holt Cup scheme, or starting something similar in another town, can get in touch with Greening Holt by email at email@example.com.