Residents suffer through freezing night as gas supply fails
- Credit: Archant
Residents of one Norfolk village road went through a freezing night after their gas supply failed, leaving them without heating.
As temperatures dropped as low as minus five degrees, people living in 42 homes in Gallus Close, Northrepps, near Cromer, were forced to wrap themselves in extra jumpers and blankets and fill up hot water bottles in a desperate attempt to keep warm.
One resident, Alison Osborne-Watts, 32, who lives with her husband, William, and sons Rubaan, four, and Raffety, one-and-a-half, said: 'It's been pretty traumatic. Some people moved out overnight, but we didn't have any other accommodation to go to. It's hard enough when you're an adult but when you've got young children to look after it's quite frightening.
'People started losing the use of their gas hobs from about 6pm yesterday (Wednesday, February 28).
'Then they started losing their boilers so their heating wouldn't work. Ours was going on and off, but then we lost it by 8pm.'
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Osborne-Watts said it had been particularly worrying for a number of vulnerable people on the road, which was built as an estate.
She said: 'There's one with a three-month-old baby and another with a four-month-old baby, and there are some pensioners here as well. When I went into my son's room this morning the temperature was 12 degrees.'
- 1 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 2 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 3 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
- 4 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 5 100-year-old free town guide launches biggest edition yet
- 6 Man denies murder of 42-year-old who was stabbed in neck
- 7 Man taken to hospital after crash near Aylsham
- 8 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 9 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 10 Kenneth Branagh films scenes as Boris Johnson in Norfolk for Sky drama
Mrs Osborne-Watts said residents called their supplier, Calor Gas to se if they could help.
She said: 'Virtually all of us called Calor overnight with our concerns.
'We were told the engineer wouldn't come out last night because of the adverse weather conditions. We were told it was unlikely someone would come out today as well.'
But luckily for the residents, an engineer was able to make it to the site and gas was restored around midday today.
Mrs Osborne-Watts said other Northrepps residents had been 'wonderful', helping out those homes affected by loaning electrical heaters and extra blankets.
She said: 'The community spirit has been great. We had three portable heaters that were leant to us to try and keep the children warm. For people to offer blankets and heaters to others they don't know is really kind - this village is fantastic.'