Search

Reports of dog dying after eating contaminated fish on Norfolk beach spark warnings

PUBLISHED: 07:40 02 January 2018 | UPDATED: 14:03 17 January 2018

Cley beach. Photo: David Thacker

Cley beach. Photo: David Thacker

(c) copyright citizenside.com

Dog walkers have been warned to be careful with their pets after social media reports of a dog dying after eating a fish that had washed up on a north Norfolk beach.

Map key - Red pin: Confirmed death, Yellow pin: Reported sickness

The incident is understood to have occurred on the beach at Cley.

The Hunstanton Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI) encouraged people to share the warning from their Facebook and Twitter pages.

The post read: “Warning: there are reports of dead fish washing up along the north Norfolk coast.”

The RNLI also said that a dog had been taken to the vets just an hour after ingesting one of the fish.

They added: “Please keep a close eye on your dogs if you are enjoying a New Year’s Day beach stroll.”

The Norfolk Wildlife Trust also posted a warning on Facebook advising dog walkers to be extra cautious.

It read: “Dog owners: we have had a report of a dog dying after eating a dead fish washed up on Cley beach yesterday.”

Have you been affected by what’s happened?

Email jessica.frank-keyes@archant.co.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News