Redwings Horse Sanctuary wins top award for health awareness campaign
An animal charity has been praised for its campaign urging people to speak out about a highly contagious horse disease.
Redwings Horse Sanctuary, based in Aylsham and Caldecott, won the Health and Welfare Award at the Animal Health Trust's UK Equestrian Awards.
The organisation, which is the UK's largest horse sanctuary, has encouraged horse owners to raise the issue of strangles.
Strangles is the most common equine disease in the UK and is a highly contagious infection of the upper respiratory tract caused by the bacteria.
In April 2016, Redwings launched a strangles survey – completed by over 2,000 horse owners.
You may also want to watch:
It was done to assess attitudes to the disease and biosecurity practices, inspired by the charity's own strangles outbreak a year earlier.
The findings were presented at this year's National Equine Forum.
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 3 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 7 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 8 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 9 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 10 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?