Record numbers of pupils run cross country race at Gresham’s school
- Credit: Archant
Record numbers of pupils have taken part in an annual cross country event at a north Norfolk school.
Gresham's Senior School in Holt opened its gates to pupils from across Norfolk on Friday, October 5, for the Prep School Cross Country Championships.
And more than 900 children from 37 schools took part in the event's 13th year, which saw boys and girls running through the school's fields and woods.
Acting headteacher Cathy Braithwaite said the event was a highlight of the school year.
She said: 'The cross-country event has become one of the highlights of our sporting calendar and it was wonderful to see so many children and their families supporting this event.
You may also want to watch:
'I hope everyone enjoyed taking part and we look forward to welcoming many of the schools back for next year's event.'
The winners received prizes from the school's former deputy headteacher Richard Brearley, at a ceremony held after the race.
- 1 When 13-year-old Prince Philip visited Cromer following crab boat disaster
- 2 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 3 'How it should be' - Cromer abuzz as businesses reopen
- 4 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 5 £500 grant paves way for new swimmers
- 6 'We love the town sentimentally' - Holt opticians firm opens 10th store in lockdown
- 7 Police and community fridge to be discussed at Sheringham town meeting
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Seal trips braced for busy season ahead - but quiet first day after easing
- 10 North Walsham gym to re-open despite vaccinations continuing
The overall school results saw Coltishall Primary School come in first place in the under nines boys' race of 1,200m, with Burnham Market and Wells Primary School coming second, and Gresham's Prep in third.
Gresham's Prep under nines girls' came first in their 1,200m race, with Fairstead House School second and Holt Community Primary School coming third.
In the under 11s category of 1,500m, Gresham's Prep boys came first, with North Walsham Junior School in second place and Burnham Market and Wells Primary School third.
Coltishall Primary School girls won the 1,500m, Gresham's Prep second, and Norwich High School for Girls came in third.
And the individual winners were Jimmy Margree, from Coltishall Primary School, who won the under nines boys' race in four minutes and 11 seconds.
He narrowly missed out on the championship record of four minutes and six seconds.
Piera Plater, of Gresham's Prep, won the under nines girls' race in four minutes and 29 seconds,
She also narrowly missed out on the course record of four minutes and 22 seconds.
Billy Eccles, from Wensum Primary School, won the under 11s boys' race in five minutes and 57 seconds, while in the under 11s girls' race, Rosie Dickety, of Coltishall School, took first place in six minutes and 29 seconds.
She was just two seconds off the championship record.