READER LETTER: ‘Spare a thought for imprisoned mother’
- Credit: PA
On the occasion of Mother's Day many people are buying cards and flowers, planning visits and days out with their mothers, and generally making this a special day.
This is as important for members of the North Norfolk Amnesty Group as it is for everyone else but for some folk the day has a sad feeling because of loss and deprivation.
This Mother's Day we're asking readers to spare a thought for one particular mother - Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British-Iranian charity worker who's already spent three years in an Iranian jail after a deeply unfair trial.
For three long years Nazanin has been separated from her young daughter Gabriella, who only gets to see her mother on short prison visits in Tehran.
Recently, the foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt announced the Government was giving Nazanin 'diplomatic protection' status, meaning her case is now officially considered to be the cause of a formal dispute between our country and Iran.
You may also want to watch:
This is welcome. It means the UK is taking her plight seriously and is committing itself to using all its international influence to gain her freedom.
Readers can show their support for Nazanin by adding their name to our petition - www.amnesty.org.uknazanin - to the Iranian authorities calling for her release.
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 3 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 7 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 8 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 9 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 10 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
North Norfolk Amnesty Group
-What do you think? To share your views on this issue and others, email firstname.lastname@example.org