READER LETTER: ‘Our carers don’t get the recognition they deserve’
- Credit: Archant
I refer to the article about a gentleman needing care at home (North Norfolk News, February 21).
I note that our MP is demanding that the local authority provides the care required.
Where is such care to come from when the article also refers to the inability of the company concerned to provide the care required?
It can only come from taking the staff from someone else.
Our MP should be dealing with the issues that have caused this situation, a chance he had when he was minister for health in the Tory government. Instead he supported the damaging and costly Health and Social Care Act
You may also want to watch:
Paid carers, particularly those that provide care in the community, are an undervalued and underpaid workforce. Until society recognises and rewards the skills needed to provide such a service, there will be a shortage of community care staff.
In recent years, carers have been asked to take on more and more nursing tasks for little extra reward.
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 3 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 4 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 5 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 6 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 7 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 8 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 9 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 10 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
It is easy to write a letter on behalf of one constituent berating an authority strapped for cash. Why did he support the Tory government's austerity agenda which has resulted in the underfunding of care?
Society is judged by the way it looks after its vulnerable members. Care services need to be properly funded. The Labour party has pledged to give local authorities the freedom to raise the funds they need to care for everyone in their communities.
• What do you think? Email email@example.com to get your views featured in the newspaper.