READER LETTER: ‘It’s brilliant to see the town doing so well’
- Credit: Archant
It was very heartening to see two new businesses open and thriving in North Walsham recently. One, a privately owned bistro and the other a new Costa coffee, both in the centre of town. Visiting both of these outlets I saw how busy they were, and how positive and happy the atmosphere was in each place.
In particular, in the Costa Coffee outlet the majority of customers were young, mainly teenage people.
In these days of concerns about young people becoming isolated and fretting over social media,
I think it probably does their mental health a lot more good to meet friends face to face and chat and laugh over a non-alcoholic drink, rather than sit in front of screens or agonise over phones.
Some criticise Conservative values as representing hard headed business run by ruthless people who care for nothing but profit.
You may also want to watch:
We certainly do need to keep reminding big business that the best of them should contribute to the well-being of local communities, and I would like to see that engagement every time a national name opens an outlet in a north Norfolk town.
But for now, let's applaud the new spirit of hope and vitality in North Walsham.
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 3 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 4 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 5 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 6 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 7 Bookings fly in as new dog grooming salon opens in town centre
- 8 Roadworks cause traffic chaos in north Norfolk town
- 9 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 10 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
Charity is a wonderful thing, but business, big or small, can help a place feel good about itself too.
-What do you think? To share your views on this and other issues, email firstname.lastname@example.org