Reader letter: ‘High praise for Highfield’
- Credit: Archant
I am writing in response to the article concerning the latest inspection at Highfield (Choking and ulcer risks reported at failing Cromer care home).
My mother has been a wheelchair-bound resident at Highfield for almost 4 years following a severe stroke and during that time she has received nothing but excellent care from the wonderful carers, some of whom have worked there for over 20 years. When they come into her room (always knocking first) she lights up. She loves them all and they treat her with love and respect.
I visit every other day and have always found the carers extremely kind and pleasant, even when they are working extra shifts or being called back in when they are supposed to be on holiday. I tell them to turn their 'phones off when they are on leave but they all say 'Can't do that - can't leave people like your mother without anyone to help them.'
All care homes are going to be struggling to find enough good staff until the government realises that care work is one of the hardest jobs in the world and pays carers what they deserve instead of the pittance that is the minimum wage.
I have nothing but praise and admiration for the carers at Highfield and I know that my mother is in safe hands there. Knowing that she is happy is what matters to me and she certainly is.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 2 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 7 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 8 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 9 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 10 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident