Reader letter: ‘CCTV is not the only answer to crime’
- Credit: Archant
I feel that as chair of the North Norfolk Constituency Labour Party, I should respond to Robert Murphy's letter (North Norfolk News, February 14).
Robert Murphy is not a member of the Labour Party and his statement on Labour Party policy is incorrect.
We are in support of the use of CCTV but our councillors would wish to ensure that its use is proportionate, cost effective and in compliance with the law.
CCTV is expensive to purchase, install and maintain. It is also subject to a large amount of legislation designed to protect privacy and civil liberties, quite rightly so. We would question if the extensive use of CCTV is a cost-effective way to spend town council taxpayers' money.
At a time when the Tory police and crime commissioner has removed all of Norfolk's PCSOs, who were the eyes and ears on the ground, perhaps a better use of some of the money would be to employ a youth worker to enable the town council to engage with our youth, rather than stereotype them as a problem to be monitored.
You may also want to watch:
CCTV is not the only answer to crime, more police on the ground would be helpful.
In fact all the CCTV in the town failed to identify the culprits that spray painted graffiti in the town centre last Saturday night/Sunday.
It was one of the perpetrators' fathers who identified his own son and took him to the police station.
- 1 Sinkhole opens up on busy Sheringham junction
- 2 Lorry crashes into powerlines in Cromer town centre
- 3 WATCH: Military plane flies low over Cromer Pier
- 4 RNLI rescues woman stranded on boat in Blakeney
- 5 Plan to house Afghans at Holt Hall quashed
- 6 WATCH: Fish and chip shop oil thieves caught on camera
- 7 Hundreds pay tribute to Sheringham cobbler John Hart
- 8 Replica of Only Fools and Horses van to go under the hammer
- 9 Volunteers pitch in to clean up pond
- 10 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
If Labour councillors are ensuring debate and compliance, then I think that can only be a good thing for accountability and democracy.
North Norfolk Constituency Labour Party chairman