Re-published book throws a spotlight on market town’s past
- Credit: Archant
It has been 10 years since Bob and Jan White opened the Showcase Gallery newsagent's and gift shop in the centre of North Walsham.
And they have now marked the anniversary by reprinting and publishing the book 'North Walsham in old picture postcards', which was first complied in 1984.
Mr White said: 'The book which contains 76 pictures reflecting life in Victorian and Edwardian times, was first published for the North Walsham Historical Society and features fascinating photographs which reflect life at the time.'
Mr White said he and Jan wanted to thank Mike Ling, Mary McManus and Ron Fiske, who compiled the original edition of the book, as well as Wayne Beauchamp for providing the original advert for the book in the North Norfolk News of 1984, and all their customers for their support over the years.
He said: 'We also thank all past and present members of staff for their hard work, in particular the long serving key holders David Gayfer and Amy Smith.'
You may also want to watch:
The book is on sale at the Market Place shop for £8.50.
- 1 Taxi driver beaten up in case of mistaken identity
- 2 Park-and-ride scheme plan for busy seaside towns
- 3 Rats issue at coastal car park resolved
- 4 Sea sponge given name with a Norfolk twist
- 5 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 6 Trees planted as part of community project
- 7 Pretty 16th century cottage with 'door that leads to nowhere' is for sale
- 8 Mental health hospital owed £2m to staff and creditors when it shut
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months